This is the second chapter of the Sackboy tutorial, and now I will explaine you how to unwrap your model. It is true that there are some plugins which allow you to texture it faster but honestly, I prefer to do it myself. Like this I know what I am doing and I know where to find what I need, in plus, the plugins are not working everytime like we want, especially when we have a complex model. To follow this tutorial you need a lot of patience and I will guarantee that practicing will make you better. Anyway, I will explain step by step how to unwrap this game character, and in the third chapter I will show you how to make the texture in Photoshop. If you want my model, you can download it from below :
1. Now open the file, and the first thing that we need to do is to apply on our model, a modifier called “Unwrap UVW”. This modifier allow us to unwrap the uvw form our model and then import the sheet into an image editing software, like Photoshop. But before importing the sheet in Photoshop, we need a lots of patience.
2. After you have added the modifier, in the Selection menu, select “Polygon” then press ctrl+A to select them all and click on the. Don’t be scared if you will see strange things in that window :
3. Now we will use the viewport but also the “Edit UVWs” window. Go to the Mapping tool and choose “Flatter Mapping”, the all uvw parts will be made like some planes :
4. The last thing before start working is to make a checker pattern. Like this we will know if we will strech or squeeze the texture. The objective is to avoid streching and squeezing. So, open your material editor, pick a material slot and then go to Diffuse and choose “Checker” and press ok.
5. Once the material is done, apply it on the model and you will see something like this :