Hi again . I am C. Andrei, the administrator of the website and in this tutorial I will show you (as I promised) how to model a steampunk sword. In this tutorial I will show you ONLY how to model it. If you want to texture it please take a look at other tutorials or if you need help, we have a forum for this . Anyway, it is a very easy and very well explained tutorial so even a beginner can do it. Don’t ask for help in comments, I will help anyone on the forum.
1. We will start by cutting the image with the sword. We will not use it very much but we can use it as a reference for the bigger details. So, open the image using Photoshop or another image editing software. I am using the same an old Photoshop CS3 but its the same thing :). So, select the sword like I did :
2. Now make a new file with the same size as your selected area. To see the size of the selected area you can switch to the “Info” tab. By the way, you will have a different size but doesn’t matter, the steps are the same . So, in my case, I will make a new file 241 x 708, you will use your own dimension .
3. Drag your selected area to the new file and then save it. To save it, go to File > Save For Web & Devices and then press the save button.
4. From this step we will move to 3DS Max. For this project I am using only 2 viewports in 3DS Max but you can use 4. If you want to change to 2 viewports, just click on the small “+” from the left upper corner of each viewport , then go to > “Configure Viewports” and in the “Layout” tab pick your desired display.
5. In the “Front” viewport, we will make a plane. The dimension of the plane will be the same as the dimension of the blueprint. In my case the plane will be 708(H) x 241 (W). For the “Lenght Segs” and “Width Segs” use 1. I have disabled to grid in 3DS Max. You can do this by pressing the “G” button on your keyboard: