Mechwarrior Rigging Tutorial
Hello! My name is Serban Radu Gabriel, student at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest and I’ll be teaching you how to rig the mechwarrior.
So, lets get started!
1. First of all, we must detach each major component into a separate object. Select the robot, right click and
Convert to editable poly. Go to the Element tab, select the components as seen in the picture and detach. Name the new object “Foot_Left”.
2. Continue detaching. Still in Element mode, select the pieces as seen in the picture and detach, naming the object “Lower_Leg_Left”.
3. These last components will form the upper leg, detach and name the new object “Upper_Leg_Left”. Analogously, detach the components
that compose the right leg and name them accordingly.
4. The following parts represent the lower body, detach them and give the new object a proper name.
5. We move on to the main body, select the bits, detach and name the new object “Upper_Body”.
6. Detach the part that becomes “Upper_Arm_Left”.
7. Move on and detach the part that becomes “Lower_Arm_Left”. Analogously, detach the components that compose the right arm and name
Note: When you reach the last piece to be detached from the Mechwarrior object you can either just rename from Mechwarrior to the component’s name or
use the detach procedure and delete the Mechwarrior object which is now redundant.
8. Once you have separated and named all of the robot components, go in Object mode and select all the pieces. Go in the Hierarchy tab, under the Pivot
category, enable Affect Pivot only and click Center to Object.
9. Maximize the Left Viewport. Go in the Create/Systems tab and pick up Bones. Try to place the bones as seen in the picture. You should have 3 bones.
Note: You right click to end the bone chain.
10. Select the top bone and go to Animation/IK Solvers/HI Solvers. Now select the lowest bone. This will form an IK chain. Go in perspective mode and
place the bones and the IK chain inside the left leg.