In this tutorial I will show you how to model a lowpoly tire. First we will create a high poly mesh, then we will create a lowpoly model. When we will be done with the modeling part, we will move forward and we will unwrap the low poly model in order to bake the normals and ambient occlusion, and for the sidewall of the tire I will show you how to create the normal map using an image 😉
We will use CrazyBump and xNormals to make this model. These softwares are great when we need to bake and make the texture. You will see how powerful these 2 softwares are.
1. We will start by making the profile of the tire. Usually when I make a tire, I am using a rim, to have a better view of the proportions, but in this tutorial we can use a cylinder. But first, let’s set up the blueprint (Click here to download the blueprint) . Open 3DS Max, check the provided blueprint. First we will put the “Top” image. Click on the image and you will see that the dimensions of this image is 949×496. Make a plane with the same dimensions :
2. Press the “M” button and the “Material Editor” will appear. Pick a material and then click on the little square from “Diffuse” > choose “Bitmap” and select the image called “Top”.
3. Drag the material with on the plane that we have made and it should be visible :
4. Make a clone of that plane, then turn it at 90 degrees :
5. Now modify the dimensions of the plane according to the “Thread” image. Just do the same thing that we did for the “Top” blueprint. Then assign it on the plane and you should have something similar to this :