Since I am a big fan of Little Big Planet , I decided to make a tutorial about modeling of Sackboy. This tutorial will have 2 more chapters about texturing using Unwrap uvw modifier and another chapter about rigging this character. To follow this tutorial you need to be a little bit familiar with the interface of 3DS Max. I’m using 3DS Max 2012 but if you have an older version, don’t panic, because I will use the same modifiers that are on every version.
To model this character we will use only 2 blueprints. Like every tutorial on our website, this will be very detailed and if anyone will not uderstand the steps, please let me know on the forum. We will start with the top of the head and here you have the file with the blueprints included :
1. First make a cylinder and place it in the same place as me. Then delete the selected polygons :
2. Now pay attention. We will use a modifier called FFD. You will see how it works. First pick the middle vertex and put him at the highest point from the head :
3. Select the first row of vertices and lift them up a little bit, use the 2 viewports :
4. As you can see, the vertices will not cover the countour of the head. So, keep the vertices selected, then go to the modifier list and choose “FFD 2x2x2”.
5. You will see that some orange lines will appear with some control points. Since we selected only the vertices and picked a modifier,only the selected vertices will be affected. We will start from the front view . On the modifier menu you will see that the FDD modifier have a small+ . Click on that small + and choose control points. This will allow you to move the points. Pick the right points and move them a little bit to the left. There are 4 vertices but since we are working on a flat surface, we can see only 2 :