Read before start
1. The design of these characters was made by creativemonkeys.com and not by me.
2. This tutorial have 2 parts. This is only the modeling part. The rigging part is HERE
3. If there are any problems, post on the forum
In this tutorial we will model 2 simple robots. This will be the first part, and in the second one I will explain how to rig them. I don’t know if you know the to robots MO and FOCA from some Romanian cartoons. Anyway, let’s start. First , we will model FOCA because its easier :
1. Start by making a capsule with the same dimensions as me (add more sides – i realised that we need more sides at the end of tutorial ):
2. Convert the capsule into an editable poly, then select and delete this polygons
3. Now, select the same vertices as me and scale them down a little bit. Watching in the front viewport and using Y axis.
4. Make a cylinder with the same dimensions as me. We will use this cylinder to make the eyes.
5. Convert the cylinder into an editable poly, select the same polygon as me , and use an 0.7 inset
6. Extrude that poligon with the same amount as me
7. Make a copy of the cylinder and place the eyes in the same places
8. Make the eyes a little bit oval, using the scale tool
9. Select the same edges as me , then connect them using the same values as me :
10. Delete this polygon, then grab the edges and drag the a little bit to interior by holding shift
11. Select the same edges as me then connect them by using the same values as me :
12. Select again the same edges as me, and connect them with the same values :
14. Select the same edges, the press the “bridge” button
15. Now we will try to make that kind of door, which FOCA have on his belly. Select the same edges, and connect them with the same values as me
16. Select the same edges, and use chamfer with the same values as me. We will try to make that space between door and the body
17. Drag the selected edges to the interior
18. FOCA have 2 buttons between that door and the mouth. Just make 2 cylinders and place them like me :
19. Select the same edges, then hold shift and use the scale tool to make new smaller edges and polygons, like in the image
20. Select all these edges and apply a chamfer on them with the same amount as me
21. Now we will make the arms. We will make the wheels later .Just follow the images and you will have the same results as me. In the images you will have the steps and the dimensions of the objects :
22. Make a shape like mine using line
23. Convert the shape into an editable poly, then apply on the shape, a modifier called “Shell”. At outer amount, put 5 and you should have this
24. Use mirror to create a mirrored copy of the hand model, then place it in the same spot as me
25. Create a cylinder with the same amount as me then convert it into an edibale poly and follow the images to model the wheel
26. Now make 4 clones of that wheel and place them under FOCA.
We are done with FOCA. Now let’s try to make MO
1. I will make the in the same scene, like that I can check the proportions but if you want you can make MO in a new file. Start again by making a capsule (put again more sides, sorry about that)
2. Convert the capsule into an editable poly, then delete the selected polygons :
3. Now select the same vertices as me, and in the front viewport, use the scale tool to make MO’s head more flat. (use the Y axis)
4. Make a cylinder with these dimensions
5. Use the scale tool to make an oval shape ( X axis )
6. Inset then extrude this polygon with the same amounts as me
7. Now make a clone of this object and use it to make the other eye
8. Select the same edges as me, hold shift and drag them down a little bit. Then press cap to close that hole.
9. Now select and detach these polygons. This will be the jaw.
10. On the jaw, apply a shell modifier with these values , and in the second image, you have a box that you need to check. Yo can find it at the bottom of the Shell menu.
And you shoud have something like this :
11. Convert the jaw into an editable poly, then weld the vertices as me
12. Now, like you see in the image, MO have a kind of tooth so let’s make him. Select this poligon and extrude it with the same amount
13. Maybe the last thing on the head. We need to make that small antena from MO’s head. Just make line and rise the thickness a little bit. I have used these values. And at the top I have made a small ball ( I think that is the emiter )
14. Let’s make the body. As you can see, MO doesn’t have a neck, so we will not make it. Let’s start with his rounded belly. Make a sphere with the same dimension as me and try to place it in the same spot
15. Convert the sphere into an editable poly then delete these polygons :
16. Now follow the images. Its just basic 3D modeling. Hold shift and drag the edge
17. Select the same vertices as me, then in the left viewport use the scale tool and make the belly a little bit flat. Just a little bit.
18. Chamfer these edges with the same amount as me
19. On the body we need to make that button which MO have on his belly and we will be done with the part. Select these edges, then connect them :
20. Follow the images :
21. Select that object that we have detached and called “Button” smaller usig scale tool, then extrude it with the same amount and chamfer it
22. Now we can move to the leg. We will make the arms after this. By the way, I have made the body just a little bit smaller. If you wan’t you can keep it like this. Make a tube with the same values as me and place it in the same place :
23. Now use the snaps to create a cilinder exactly in the middle of the tube.
24. Select the polygons as me, then bevel them
25. Select the same edges as me, then connect them
26. Now in the left or right viewport, keep the new edges selected, and use scale (X and Y axis) to make a bender shape like in the image :
27. Select the same edges as me, and chamfer them
28.Put an Inset on those 2 polygons
29. We are done with the wheel. Now we will try to make the support between the leg and the wheel. Follow the images and everything will be ok Start by making box
30. We are done with the wheel and now we will move to the leg. Just make a cylinder with the same dimensions as below, an place it in the same place.
31. Making the arms. We will start with the shoulders. Make a sphere with these dimensions :
32. Convert the sphere into an editable poly and delete these polygons
33. We will make the arms straights, because after we will rig them, and it will be easier. Create a cylinder with the same dimension as below :
34. Convert the cylinder into an editable poly, then extrude these polygons with the same amount
35. MO doesn’t have a very detailed hand. Make a cylinder , then a box and place them in the same spot. After you have made both objects, attach them, make a clone and place it like me
36. Now just make a copy of the entire arm using mirror and we ar done with the modeling part.
I hope that you like it and I will post the rig tutorial when I have some time. Don’t forget to leave a comment, and if you have some problems when you are follow this tutorial, don’t forget that we have a forum. . Don’t forget that if you have the posibility to help the website by donating a small amount of money to keep it alive, please do it. Or you can visit our friends if you cannot donate. The rigging part will be posted in a very short time
For the moment I don’t have time to texture the models and I post only this wireframes . I will come back with some nice renders in a couple of days.
What you can find on cgdump.com :